• Ask, answer, and discuss all things having to do with the product brands that you own, use, and love. Please feel free to look around, and browse about the forum!

• Tips and Tricks Forum is the best source of computer and technology troubleshooting advice from a community of experts.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to remove addthis random characters from url
How to remove addthis random characters from url
01-23-2014 - 07:58 PM
 TerryNet

I use addthis widget. When I go throughout my webpages I get random characters in the end of the url. Address bar share tracking works by appending a special tag to your URL once your page has loaded. Your URLs will start to look like this:

http://tipsandtricksforum.com/forum-49.html#AHb4gs1hwck

In this case, "#AHb4gs1hwck" is a semi-random value which identifies each page view. When a user clicks on an URL like this we'll know that they were the recipient of an address bar share and we'll count a share and a click for your site. If you disable this feature, you'll lose whatever analytics are being generated by uniquely identifying each page view. If that data matters to you/your customer, you'll need to leave the feature enabled (or find another tracking solution).

How to remove?

To remove you have to change:

Code:
{"data_track_addressbar":true}

by setting: 

Code:
{"data_track_addressbar":false}

Your new setting like this:

Code:
<script type="text/javascript">var addthis_config = {"data_track_addressbar":false};</script>

Related Tips:
(This post was last modified: 01-23-2014 07:59 PM by TerryNet.)