• Ask, answer, and discuss all things having to do with the product brands that you own, use, and love. Please feel free to look around, and browse about the forum!

• Tips and Tricks Forum is the best source of computer and technology troubleshooting advice from a community of experts.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Add “Take Ownership" to Right-click Menu in Windows 8.1
Add “Take Ownership" to Right-click Menu in Windows 8.1
12-03-2013 - 06:03 PM
 blackguy
Administrator

In the previous tutorial, you have learned How to Take Ownership of a File or a Folder in Windows 8.1. That method has many technical steps and some users feel it’s difficult to follow. That’s the reason why we will introduce this useful tip to add the “Take Ownership” option to your context (right-click) menu. You will find that the “Take Ownership” action now is really easy and convenient.

I. Add “Take Ownership” to right-click menu
Step 1:
Click on the below Download button to download and unzip the file then you will have the Add_Take_Ownership.reg file.

Step 2:
Double-click on that .reg file to run it. 

Step 3:
Click on Run if prompted by Security Warning

Click on Yes if prompted by User Account Control

Click on Yes to add.

Step 4:
When the Registry Editor says that the Add_Take_Ownership.reg had been successfully added to the registry, click on OK to close it.

Now right-click on any folder or file (excluding .exe, .cmd, .bat) you will easily take ownership of it.

II. Remove “Take Ownership” from right-click menu
Step 1:
Click on the below Download button to download and unzip the file then you will have the Remove_Take_Ownership.reg file.

Step 2:
Double-click on that .reg file to run it 

and click on Run (Security Warning), Yes (User Account Control), OK (Registry Editor) just like in these above pictures.

Now you will no longer see the Take Ownership entry in the right-click menu.

Related tips and tutorials:

Attached File(s)
.rar  Add_Take_Ownership.rar (Size: 391 bytes / Downloads: 8275)
.rar  Remove_Take_Ownership.rar (Size: 459 bytes / Downloads: 2275)
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2013 06:47 PM by blackguy.)
RE: Add “Take Ownership" to Right-click Menu in Windows 8.1
02-19-2014 - 12:47 AM
 Tom Richards

Thanks! This works to change ALL the permissions by clicking on major folders -- my documents, my music, my photos, etc. It works!