• Ask, answer, and discuss all things having to do with the product brands that you own, use, and love. Please feel free to look around, and browse about the forum!

• Tips and Tricks Forum is the best source of computer and technology troubleshooting advice from a community of experts.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How to Create a Wireless Ad Hoc in Windows 8.1
How to Create a Wireless Ad Hoc in Windows 8.1
11-14-2013 - 08:24 PM
 blackguy
Administrator

[Image: 1.png]

In Windows 7, under "Set up a new connection or network" you can create an ad hoc wireless connection via the "Set up a wireless ad hoc" option. Unfortunately Microsoft has made it one of several features removed in Windows 8.1 so it is no longer available through the GUI (Graphical user interface).
To share internet connection in Windows 8 now you need to use a third-party utility such as Virtual Router or Connectify Hotspot to turn your PC into a Wi-Fi hotspot as introduced in this post.
For those who do not want to install third-party software there is still a solution to set up a Wireless Ad Hoc through the netsh command, but it’s a little bit tough.
In this tutorial, I’ll step by step show you a valuable tip to create a wireless ad hoc connection in Windows 8.1.

Step 1:
Open the Command Prompt (CMD) as an Administrator.
(Press Windows key + X + A)

Step 2:
Type in the following command to ensure that your network interface supports Hosted Network feature:
netsh wlan show drivers

[Image: 2.png]

If Hosted network supported shows “Yes”, that’s great.
If it says “No”, you can try to update your wireless driver. If the updated driver still does not help, then you need to upgrade your hardware.

Step 3:
Now, we need to configure Ad Hoc Wireless connection. Type in CMD this command:
netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=<your desired network name> key=<your password>

[Image: 3.png]

Step 4:
Next, you need to start it. Type in CMD the command below:
netsh wlan start hostednetwork

[Image: 4.png]

Make sure your wireless network connection is enabled.

Step 5:
Navigate to Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center. Click on “Change adapter settings

[Image: 5.png]

Right-click on Wi-Fi adapter > select Properties

[Image: 6.png]

Head to “Sharing” tab > check the box Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection > finally click on OK button.

[Image: 7.png]

Now you can connect your Wi-Fi devices such as iPhone, Android smartphone, iPad, laptop … to this ad hoc wireless network and enjoy internet connection sharing.

[Image: 8.png]

Related tips and tutorials:
________________________________________________________________________________​_______
(This post was last modified: 11-14-2013 08:27 PM by blackguy.)
RE: How to Create a Wireless Ad Hoc in Windows 8.1
02-22-2014 - 03:00 PM
 wiina

Hi there, I didnt everything written below but I'm having  a problem. I don't have access to the internet. So what can I do as it doesnt work?

03-03-2014 - 11:30 PM
 THERIPPER

hi blackguy
me theripper
while i was on  step5 creating a wireless ad hoc in wind instead of completion of step 5 it showed
"a device is not activated...........:"
what should i do?????????????????????/
plz doreply

03-31-2014 - 08:30 PM
 blackguy
Administrator

(03-03-2014 11:30 PM)'THERIPPER' Wrote:  hi blackguy
me theripper
while i was on  step5 creating a wireless ad hoc in wind instead of completion of step 5 it showed
"a device is not activated...........:"
what should i do?????????????????????/
plz doreply

Please sure that Hosted network supported shows “Yes” in Step 2.
If "Yes" go to step 3, in this step: 
netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=<your desired network name> key=<your password>
NOTE: The value for option "Key" should be 8 to 63 characters.
Make sure that you have this message after run command:

"The hosted network mode has been set to allow.
The SSID of the hosted network has been successfully changed.
The user key passphrase of the hosted network has been successfully changed.
"

Finally, please sure that you started successfully this service by command: netsh wlan start hostednetwork    
you will see this message:
The hosted network started.
(This post was last modified: 03-31-2014 08:32 PM by blackguy.)
04-14-2014 - 08:39 PM
 peteris

Hi blackguy,
Unfortunately I failed at Step 2, I got the message "hosted network supported: no".
I updated the drivers for my device (Zyxel G-202 Wireless USB Adapter) and tested several PCs, but the result is always the same. If I try to start hostednetwork, I get the message: the hosted network couldn't be started , the group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation.  
In your post you suggest to upgrade the hardware, that means I can throw it out (?). But this device seems to be correct in the device manager and works well in infrastructure mode. Before throwing it out I would like to be sure this is the only solution. Any idea about further checks? Thanks in advance.
04-15-2014 - 04:28 AM
 TerryNet

My God! This guide, it's only for LAPTOP which have Wireless adapter built-in!
04-15-2014 - 04:34 AM
 blackguy
Administrator

Yep, as Terry said. You cannot using Wireless USB Adapter to create Wireless Ad Hoc.
At Step 2, you got the message: "Hosted network supported: No", it means that your wireless card does not support to creat Ad Hoc.
Good day!
04-15-2014 - 06:17 AM
 peteris

At the beginning this guide speaks about PCs, not laptops. And why a wireless USB adapter behaves differently from a built-in adapter? Is there any reason for that?
04-28-2014 - 02:19 PM
 spp1788

hi... i successfully created the ad hoc network but everytime my device get disconnected. Now what shoud i do to resolve this issue ?
04-29-2014 - 10:02 PM
 blackguy
Administrator

(04-28-2014 02:19 PM)'spp1788' Wrote:  hi... i successfully created the ad hoc network but everytime my device get disconnected. Now what shoud i do to resolve this issue ?

Hi,
Can you take a screenshot then upload it? Otherwise, please give me more information about your problem! We'll resolove it together.