• Ask, answer, and discuss all things having to do with the product brands that you own, use, and love. Please feel free to look around, and browse about the forum!

• Tips and Tricks Forum is the best source of computer and technology troubleshooting advice from a community of experts.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to list files & folders on Windows
How to list files & folders on Windows
10-17-2013 - 04:22 AM
 fjam

Have you ever felt the need to know what all files are there in your DVD/CD or in a particular drive or folder of your system?
If yes, i will show you how to list files and folders on Windows.

1. The first method:
You must try a File List Maker, a small application which creates a list of files in your folders, drives and even in your DVDs/CDs. For those who don’t know, the programs allowing you to create a list of the files in your folders/drives are termed as ‘File List Makers’ or ‘File Listers’ sometimes. Such programs are very helpful in terms of keeping a track of your files in your entire disk.

InDeep File List Maker is the program I am reviewing today. There are various File Listers available on the web, but not all of them include the feature of saving the list. InDeep File List Maker is one of the advanced File List Maker programs which allow you to save the list. Furthermore it also includes a ‘Text Finder’ allowing you to search for a particular file. The program creates the list in plain text so that you can save it, mail it or send it as a text document to anyone. It creates “simple lists” by default, containing the name of the file with its extension and size of the file.

InDeep File list Maker is a lightweight yet powerful tool which allows you to create a list of any set of files stored on your hard drive making your task much easier. The program works just what its name says and can create file lists, and then find files and folders in those lists. You can make lists of your files in any folders of your hard drive. It helps you creating catalogs of any file types and saves them as data files in your computer system.

The latest version of File List Maker 1.2.5 comes with some advanced features giving you a better functionality.
- Search improved.
- Better memory management.
- Drive removal detection.

It might sound a bit weird, but before I learnt about this wonderful application, I used to create the screenshots to keep a list of files in my folders and DVDs. Thankfully now I have File List Maker which allows me to save a text-based list of all the files in my folders and drives.

Download InDeep File List Maker here and use it to save the list of your files & folders as a Notepad file: http://www.mediafire.com/?1mfjdhzr294fe40

2. The second method:

Using the Command line(cmd)
You have to run CMD as Administrator, next making file lists since DOS with the following command line command:

Code:
dir *.* /s > dirlist.txt

More detail you type:

Code:
dir /?

The resulting text file can be imported into any editor.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Related post:

* Click to see how brenster21 solved his Limited Access or no Internet Access problem on Windows 8
* How to fix: Limited WiFi connection problem in Windows 8.1
* Backup, restore, save all the drivers installed on your PC
* (Solved)USB 3.0 doesn't work after installing Windows 8 or Windows 8.1
(This post was last modified: 11-01-2013 02:12 PM by fjam.)