• Ask, answer, and discuss all things having to do with the product brands that you own, use, and love. Please feel free to look around, and browse about the forum!

• Tips and Tricks Forum is the best source of computer and technology troubleshooting advice from a community of experts.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How to fix: Limited WiFi connection problem in Windows 8.1
How to fix: Limited WiFi connection problem in Windows 8.1
10-17-2013 - 03:32 AM
 fjam

________________________________________________________________________________​______________________________
Click here if your problem is still Unsolved!" : http://tipsandtricksforum.com/Thread-Lim...indows-8-1
________________________________________________________________________________​______________________________
Windows 8.1 Wifi showing "limited" or "No Internet Access":

Some Windows users are experiencing a strange problem. After installing the preview version of Windows 8.1, they observed that their device was showing ‘Limited Connectivity’ error in WiFi status and they couldn’t access the internet until re-connected.

I realized this is a common issue with Windows 8.1. In some cases, even resetting the device and starting over didn’t help. After following some forums, I thought of giving some suggestions.

Here is the guide to fix this problem:

Limited WiFi connection

First create a system restore point. Then right-click the ’Start’ button to access ‘Control Panel’ option and select it.

Next, chose ‘Device Manager’ option.

Next select ‘Network Adapters’ and under it, you will find a Wi-Fi controller listed. Select it.

Right-click the controller and click the ‘Disable’ button and hit ‘Ok’ to apply the changes. See if it helps. If it does not help, re-enable it and proceed to the next step.

If the above solution fails, try doing the following.

Open an admin-level command prompt in Desktop mode, type the following commands, and hit Enter after each command:

Code:
netsh int tcp set heuristics disabled

Code:
netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

Code:
netsh int tcp set global rss=enabled

Then type the following and hit Enter, to verify that practically all the settings are disabled.

Code:
netsh int tcp show global

Finally, reboot your machine and see if this helps.

Related post:

(This post was last modified: 03-29-2014 05:33 AM by Administrator.)
RE: How to fix: Limited WiFi connection problem in Windows 8.1
10-28-2013 - 05:45 PM
 Administrator
Administrator

Hi guys, i tried all the above methods but none of them worked for me. However i did find something that worked, which is to revert your network adapter driver back to an older version instead of the one installed by windows 8.1.

By the time I was having problems (don't know about previously) Windows was configured to use the Microsoft driver for this device.
Same fix as others have mentioned but I will provide a bit more detail. Basically I located a Broadcom-supplied driver on my computer, and updated to use that. Immediately wi-fi connected, and all seems well.

Here's the instructions:

1. You can do this by going to Device Manager:

2. Right click on your Network Adapters that is limited(Wireless Network Adapter) or you can doubleclick to it, go to Driver, go to Update Driver:

3. Then "Browse my computer for driver software:

4. Then "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer":

5. You see 2 drivers for the same broadcom adapter. One by Broadcom, the other from Microsoft. Choose the Broadcom one. Install. Springs back to life. Big Grin

(This post was last modified: 10-30-2013 03:29 AM by Administrator.)
11-02-2013 - 11:58 AM
 john19501

I've search high and low. The netsh commands posted here worked for me. My symptom was: wifi connection can't connect to the internet upon boot. I entered the commands exactly as described. Fixed. No problems over the last 3 days. Thank you so much.
11-02-2013 - 12:41 PM
 Administrator
Administrator

you're welcome John Wink
05-07-2014 - 12:26 PM
 phredcg

(10-17-2013 03:32 AM)'fjam' Wrote:  ________________________________________________________________________________​______________________________
Click here if your problem is still Unsolved!" : http://tipsandtricksforum.com/Thread-Lim...indows-8-1
Windows 8.1 Wifi showing "limited" or "No Internet Access":

Some Windows users are experiencing a strange problem. After installing the preview version of Windows 8.1, they observed that their device was showing ‘Limited Connectivity’ error in WiFi status and they couldn’t access the internet until re-connected.

I realized this is a common issue with Windows 8.1. In some cases, even resetting the device and starting over didn’t help. After following some forums, I thought of giving some suggestions.

Here is the guide to fix this problem:

Limited WiFi connection

First create a system restore point. Then right-click the ’Start’ button to access ‘Control Panel’ option and select it.

Next, chose ‘Device Manager’ option.

Next select ‘Network Adapters’ and under it, you will find a Wi-Fi controller listed. Select it.

Right-click the controller and click the ‘Disable’ button and hit ‘Ok’ to apply the changes. See if it helps. If it does not help, re-enable it and proceed to the next step.

If the above solution fails, try doing the following.

Open an admin-level command prompt in Desktop mode, type the following commands, and hit Enter after each command:

Code:
netsh int tcp set heuristics disabled

Code:
netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

Code:
netsh int tcp set global rss=enabled

Then type the following and hit Enter, to verify that practically all the settings are disabled.

Code:
netsh int tcp show global

Finally, reboot your machine and see if this helps.

Related post:

I had to register for this website just so I could write a big thank you for this post! I have been trying many fixes suggested on other websites for this issue, and nothing seemed to work. The issue happened when I upgraded from 8 to 8.1, so this solution makes complete sense, and it worked for me! Thank you so much!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Windows file data recovery EdaLutz 4 403 08-21-2014 05:57 PM
Last Post: Richard123
  Update to Windows 8.1 failed Error Code: 0xC1900101-0x20017 blackguy 53 21,302 08-14-2014 05:54 AM
Last Post: bcarnicom
  WiFi Problem on Windows 8 Administrator 1 1,083 08-07-2014 10:54 PM
Last Post: Martina11
  [Fixed] Error 25000 of BlueStacks on Windows 8.1 coolboy 5 79,935 07-20-2014 09:14 PM
Last Post: balu
  Solved - Error 0x80070002 - 0x20009 Windows 8.1 update blackguy 3 18,108 05-15-2014 11:47 PM
Last Post: fwd
  9 Tips To Help You Keep Your Windows XP Safe After End-Of-Life TerryNet 0 719 04-15-2014 04:03 AM
Last Post: TerryNet
  The guide to burning a new Windows 7 installation DVD fjam 0 938 04-07-2014 05:57 AM
Last Post: fjam
  Enable Administrator account in Windows (Version 7, 8 and 8.1) TerryNet 1 11,304 03-16-2014 12:46 AM
Last Post: robertgo
  Snipping Tool tips and tricks in Windows 8 that you don't know fjam 0 2,330 12-24-2013 07:02 PM
Last Post: fjam
  Windows 8.1 Keyboard Shortcuts blackguy 0 1,518 11-28-2013 01:17 PM
Last Post: blackguy